9/23/19
English 1109
Collin Thacker
I chose to use chapter 15 because this is the scene where Ishmael Beah is what we would call being rescued from the war scene. He is rejecting to be helped and medicated from this hospital; that is part of UNICEF. They really do have the best in mind for him he just has to accept them, and be compliant to their different methods. It reveals to the reader that beah is stubborn and has gotten used to the war life. I felt disgusted that that could even happen...getting used to the blood, violence, and killings. “I had forgotten about the grenade in the side pocket......” (Beah page 130). Beahs change has created the worst kind of person you can be....into a monster and killing machine. His whole persona is horrific and disturbing. If you honestly ask me what i think of this novel, i would tell you i regret reading it not for the book itself which was brilliantly written but rather the content is rather graphic. Blood, death, fire, stealing, drugs, alcohol, rape, guns, etc. NOT my cup of tea and not something that is pleasing to the eye. there are horrific scenes and incredible detail that also be used to conjure up some of the most horrendous of thoughts. Not trying to sound cliche but I'm glad I'm not him right now.
I don't think Beah changed into a monster and killing machine on purpose. I feel like he thought he had to do it for all of the people he had lost.
ReplyDelete