Wednesday, September 25, 2019
Journal Four
In chapter 14 during a raid Beah and the army capture several prisoners. They are put in competition to see who can kill a target by slitting the persons throat the fastest. Beah ends up winning this competition. .”. . . and I grabbed the man’s head and slit his throat in one fluid motion”(Beah 125). Beah thinks about the death of his family and quickly kills his target. I think Beah chose to dramatize this scene because of the killing. I think that he wanted to explain to readers that he didn’t just do it to do it but more because he had to. I feel like he did it to avenge his family in a way. Beah was challenging the anger he felt from his family dying into killing the prisoner.I believe that Beah can truly be rehabilitated. He was a very sweet and caring person before the war so I feel like deep down if he channeled the energy he had about life before the war he could really be rehabilitated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This provides a firm understanding of what you are talking of and my favorite part was the word usage “and the army CAPTURED several prisoners....” loved it!!!
ReplyDeleteI understand why you chose the quote you did. That was one of the most brutal scenes in this book so far.
ReplyDeleteI like how you said that you feel like Beah did it because he needed to avenge his family and I agree with that.
ReplyDeleteThe passage you chose makes sense. All the passages we choice has the same sorta theme. It's a brutal scene where Beah separates himself from who he truly is.
ReplyDelete