English 1109 at 1:30, M-W
8-26-19
Hello my name is Jacob or Jake. I am a type one diabetic and my major is nursing, My main focus outside of school is rugby. I have been a type one diabetic since 2006, when I was diagnosed at the age of 5. I choose to play rugby because it is a sport not many people know about, i have never had such a supportive community in a sport.
In The House on Mango Street, a theme that has really stood out to me is isolation. Throughout the first section the author seems to see herself as separate from other people other than her family. This is important because it shows how much she may rely on her where outside friends would normally be there. In families that move frequently; such as military families, children in those families seem to rather be friends with their siblings rather than make other friends then ultimately have to leave. One of my favorite passages in the reading was the first sentence of Boys & Girls, "The boys and girls live in separate worlds...The boys in their universe and we in ours"(Cisneros, 2009).


I love how you get straight to the point and say exactly what you mean. I am sorry about the diabetes thing. I didn’t know. Is there anything you can do? All in all... great job!
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately not, There is no cure for the disease
DeleteI think its dope you play rugby. I always thought it would be a cool sport to play, but in Marion there is just not a lot of people to get any of our sports teams good unfortunately. I'm also sorry to hear about your diabetes man.
ReplyDeleteJake, thanks for getting us started! Some day in class, I'd like you to explain to us the difference between type I and type II diabetes. So many children get diabetes now, and I think it would help all of us to know more from a person who has been through it. I also like your passage from Cisneros because at a certain age, it seems common that boys and girls have their own "universe" as she puts it, and that's a nice metaphor for the situation.
ReplyDeleteI'd be happy to! just let me know when.
DeleteJake I think it's so cool that you want to further your education in nursing, my dad is the chief nurse anesthetist at the OSU hospital. I don't know if that's the type of nursing you hope to pursue but he loves helping young kids start they're nursing career right and if you had any questions he loves talking about what he does.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I might take you up on that offer
DeleteI really think rugby is interesting. I don't know much about it but it's definitely a cool sport. What age did it interest you, and how long have you played?
ReplyDelete