Keaton Hipsher
English 1109 at 1:30, M-Wed
September 4, 2019
My active reading is going okay so far. I am not going to lie its a little weird to get use to. But I am trying, it is just odd because I was never taught this way of reading in my life. Some things that are going well in my active reading, I am doing a good job of connecting things happening in the book to my life. Another thing I think is helping me is highlighting key phrases so when I go back to a chapter I can see what I liked from it. Some things that I am struggling with is I am missing some of of the main view points that I should be highlighting, I think I'm highlighting too many little things that doesn't make as much since to the main points of the chapter.
Some strengths I see in both writings is they both are really good about going into every little detail. Well I prefer the house on mango street as my favorite right now at this point in time. Why I choose this book as my favorite is just because I am connecting with it more and I just simply enjoy reading it more in a way......
A theme I see in a long way gone from chapters 4,5,6, and 7 is survival. why I think survival is important is because they are trying to stay alive and trying to find food so they don't die of hunger. Here are some examples from the text to support my theme reasoning "One evening we actually chased a little boy who was eating two boiled ears of corn by himself." then they did this for another way of survival. "We rushed on the boy at the same time, and before he knew what was happening, we had taken the corn from him." then this another theme of survival. "Later in the evening, the boy's mother gave each of us an ear of corn. I felt guilty about it for a few minutes, but in our position, there wasn't much time for remorse."
I relate to how your active reading is going, it is so weird trying to read and highlight and comment of stuff.
ReplyDeleteIts amazing to think that Ishmael was 12 years old when he had to go through all of this and be put in this level of survival.
ReplyDeleteI relate with missing the key points too, I often miss some things but discussing them helps me realize them.
ReplyDeletei think it's odd to getting use to highlighting and taking notes in the book etc so I relate with you about your active reading.
ReplyDelete