Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Journal Four- Emaleigh Haimerl

     In Chapter Fourteen of a Long Way Gone a memorable part of this chapter to me is when Beah is talking about the drugs he does. I think he chose to dramatize this because it shows how much he has changed from previous chapters. Beah said "In the daytime, instead of playing soccer in the village square, I took turns at the guarding posts around the village, smoking marijuana and sniffing brown brown, cocaine mixed with gunpowder, which was always spread out on the table, and of course taking more the white capsules" (Beat, 121). This sentence reveals to me how war changes you. Before he was just a little boy that like to listen to rap music and dance and now he does drugs and kills people. As I read this I think that he has had to really go through a lot to change that much.
     The question I chose to answer is how the transformation of the character changed my perspective on Beah. The transformation made me change my perspective by just feeling bad for him. I know having to go through everything he went through was hard and sucked but I could never imagine him just switching up like he did after the first time he went out. I know people who switched to drugs when everything went bad in life and they lost people and he did the same thing which is why I feel bad for him.

1 comment:

  1. I loved how you brought up the change he undertook as he was in the army. I also was also intrigued by the knowledge you displayed in the the fact that brown brown is actually cocaine mixed with gunpowder. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.