Monday, August 26, 2019

Teylar's Journal Two

Hello class! My name is Teylar Poindexter. I was born in Toledo, Ohio but, I moved to Marion from Worthington, Ohio. I moved to Worthington eighth grade year. I am 18 years old. As you all know from class, I am a certified cosmetologist. I went to school during my last two years of high school at a career center called the Delaware Area Career Center. My most favorite part of cosmetology is hair. In my spare time, I like to shop, cook and hang out with my friends.
A selfie of me in my apartment at the Annex

My favorite part and theme of The House On Mango Street is the part where she is describing her house. She describes the front yard. She says that there is not a front yard, just four little patches of grass that were planted by the city. This is important because it shows how different the house she dreams of earlier in the chapter is from the one she is currently living in. I’ve had one experience like this in my life. When I was six, we moved into a house that had a really tiny front yard. I remember asking my mom why it was so small and asking her where I was going to play.

3 comments:

  1. Teylar, thanks for getting us rolling on the blog! I really like how you take a passage from Cisneros and then connect it to your own memory and experience. I can just imagine you asking your Mom where you can play in such a small yard. Parks and play spaces and home spaces are such an important factor for young kids, and I think it's easy to take it for granted that everyone has all the space they need. Good connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so cool that you're a cosmetologist!

    The theme that you chose would have to be one of my favorites as well. I thought it was interesting to learn about the kind of houses the family grew up in. I also really liked your connection. I can definitely relate because some of my family members live in Florida, so they don't have a big front or back yard either. It was always hard to play outside when we were little, while visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Teylar, I also am interested in cosmetology. That's pretty cool that you're already certified at 18. One of my friends is doing the same thing that you did at the career center here in Marion.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.