Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Journal Eight - Tammy Guo

Forensic Artist Sharon Long,74, Talks to Her Colleague Steve Sutter, 57. pg 22

1.) The profile in our readings for today in the Callings that meant the most to me so far is Sharon Long 74, a forensic artist talking to her colleague Steve Sutter, 57. Sharon Long was a single mother of two girls and later went to get an art degree. Sharon Long took anthropology and sculpting classes, and soon she got into forensic. She had the motivation and drive to bring out her artistic skills and started to make molds of skulls. Long was a fantastic artist and usually spent twenty or thirty hours to perfect the mold and the cast. Long also brainstorms and researches to find out more about the individual before she starts molding. She pays attention to details, and she, "just felt like I was trying to help someone tell their story, and that was exciting" (Isay 25). In the legal field, there are challenges like getting nightmares and trying to bring the dead into life with art. Even though Long got arthritis, she kept going, she worked through her pain and kept making molds. She knows that technology has evolved and that soon you can do facial reconstruction on computers. This profile meant the most to me because she is helping people have passed away and helping them tell their stories. Another reason is that she got an art degree and paid attention to her works and is very detailed. Sharon Long is talented that has fantastic artistic abilities and spends hours on those molds and casts and taking her time to perfect and make it look realistic. 
2.) The best personal connection to this profile is that I wanted to go to an art school and get a degree in art. That is still a dream of mine, and I love spending my free time sketching and painting. Art comes in all sorts of shapes and forms, but I particularly enjoy drawing and being creative by using my imagination to create art. I usually spend much time trying to make my drawing better and making it flawless. A connection to today's world on this profile is that the forensic artist's job is evolving and using technology like photoshop to help create what the individual looks like. Forensic artists are advancing; not many many are molding and creating the cast and spending hours on it. The improvement of technology has made this it a lot easier for those forensic artists. 
3.) In my active reading, a vocabulary word that I picked out was anthropology, intricate, and forensics. Anthropology is the study of human societies and their development. It is also the study of human biological and physiological characteristics and their evolution. Intricate means very complicated or detailed. Forensics means relating to or denoting the application of scientific methods and techniques to the investigation of crime. A reader has a question is why is a forensic artist essential, and where do they work? A forensic artist is essential because they help and find out who the suspect is like through the witness or victim Interviews. Afterward, the artist will use their artistic skills to help portray what this person looked like. They work in state or federal agencies and also in large cities. 

website: https://study.com/articles/Forensic_Artists_Education_Requirements_and_Job_Description.html

Sharon Long working as a forensic artist

3 comments:

  1. This is also one of my favorite profiles. I really enjoy sketching and painting also, I would love to see some of your drawings and paintings sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anthropology is also a great subject to go in to! you could learn a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tammy! I really enjoyed reading your last paragraph about anthropology as I have considered possibly following that as a minor with my major.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.