English
10/14/19
Collin Thacker
Esther has meant the most to be characterwise in the novel A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. This is probably true because she reminds me a lot of my mother. For one the book describes Esther as caring and gentle I believe my mother also carries those characteristics. And two they are both nurses!
I feel that Beahs rehabilitation worked but i would still be terrified to be around him after all the people he violently shot, stabbed, attacked, and stole from I’d say your an idiot if you dont feel the same way. I would definitely not let him move into my neighborhood because you never know what the little things are that will make him snap and return to his old ways.
One thing i took from this book was the deep, thorough, and cognizant passages he spoke of…”it was as if nothing else existed in our reality” (A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah page 124). The point I’m trying to get across is there is so much though that goes in to every little detail he writes.
Finally, one thing that i highlighted in the last chapter was the monkey story and coming up with an answer I though it was very clever…..when i was Seven i had an answer to this question that made sense to me. I never discussed it with anyone, though, for fear of how my mother would feel. I concluded to myself that if I were the hunter, I would shoot the monkey so that it would no longer have the chance to put other hunters in the same predicament…(A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah page 218). It shows he deeply contemplated this for a long time and concluded he would be the one that steps up and does what’s right for the greater good of everyone
Hey Collin! Esther was a very impactful character to me as well. I am glad that I found someone that also agrees with me about the large impacts that Esther has made especially in Beah's Rehabilitation process.
ReplyDelete