Thursday, October 24, 2019

Journal 7- abby archer

For this journal, I chose to talk about McNair. McNair was the kind of person to not let others bring him down. He was determined to do well in school and to be the best version of himself. Unfortunately, during this time he had to deal with racism and discrimination. He did not let this problem in his society hold him back. “He found some books, and he politely positioned himself in line to check out. Well, this old librarian says, “This library is not for coloreds.” She says, “Young man, if you don’t leave this library right now, I’m going to call the police!” He just propped himself up on the counter and sat there and said, “I’ll wait” (Isay, 37). McNair continued to stand his ground which ended up helping him in his future. He became successful with receiving his PhD in physics and was given the opportunity to fly into space. All of his hard work had paid off, so it was a happy moment for McNair. I find his determination and adamant attitude truly inspiring due to the fact that it will help me throughout my college career. If I have the mindset of “He’d go as far as he could, then go one step beyond that.” (Isay, 38) then I will become the kind of person I have always wanted myself to become. 

My research question for this profile was, what happened to the NASA challenger space shuttle? What was the cause?Research says that the disintegration of the vehicle began after a joint in its right solid rocket booster (SRB) failed at liftoff. The failure was caused by the failure of O-ring seals used in the joint that were not designed to handle the unusually cold conditions that existed at this launch. Ronald McNair was the pilot. This disaster was known to be one of NASA’s darkest tragedy. 
This is the challenger space shuttle that exploded when McNair was the Pilot .




2 comments:

  1. I love that McNair wasn't afraid even as a nine year old in his position as young African American in more of a white community in the pubic library. I think it shows a lot of his character standing up to the old librarian. I also like how determined he was leading up to his PhD in physics. I want to take his determination and put it into my college years ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s super important to identify in life when to give up but in this case its more important to know when to keep pushing through! And you did just that! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.