English 1109
15 October 2019
The character that meant the most to me in this book other than Beah is probably going to be Esther. Why I say that is because she is really the hero of this book in my eyes. Esther is really trying and making Beah back into the person he was before the war. Esther brought music back into Beah's life with the giving him a Bob Marley cassette and the Walkman, along with a really nice notebook and pen. So that shows that she is making an effort since she knows he did like music. But not even that all the people part of the UNICEF group and the nurses would always say "None of these things are your fault". But when Esther said it to Beah he began to believe it because of her genuine tone, as it finally started to sink in to Beah's mind and heart.
How I feel about Beah's rehabilitation is if he didn't have Esther I think it wouldn't of went that well. I believe he did so good because of all the little things Esther did for him. I probably wouldn't want him to move into my neighborhood just because I would judge and see him as a cold blooded killer if I did not know his back story.
One thing I have taken from my active reading is that it crazy how he was in a position of dying or surviving. "This gun is your source of power in these times. It will protect you and provide you all you need, if you know how to use it well."(Beah, Page 124) He really does a nice job of putting us into his shoes.
My favorite passage in this book has to be when Beah says "It was the last time I saw her. I loved her but never told her."(Beah, Page 181) Why I say this is one of my favorite things I highlighted is, because it shows that Beah is starting to get his feelings back and is starting to act like his normal self again. But why I was kind of stuck by the writing was because if he knew that was the last time he was going to see her why didn't he tell her how he felt?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.