Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Journal 9- Abby Archer


After reading Dawn Maestas profile, it made me curious as to how many abusive relationships are reported every year and what percentage of those woman actually get back up on their feet. I feel like abusive relationships are not the topic of conversation these days and are not taken seriously. Many who go through the experience of an abusive relationship, keep it to themselves and the abuser is not reported to the authorities or really to anyone. According to the National Domestic Violence Hotline, Nearly 3 in 10 women (23%) and 1 in 10 men (10%) in the US have experienced vape, physical violence and/or stalking by a partner/stranger and actually reported it. Here is the link to all of the different percentages: www.thehotline.org

Image result for 2019 sexual assault reporting stats
Here are the different reasons cited for not reporting their abuse.




A common theme I found throughout the Profile, ICU nurse Michelle Alore is to do what you truly love and pick something you are passionate about because this is the rest of your life. I connected with her profile at the start due to the fact that she was a teen mom and had her son at a young age. I could relate to that because my mom had my brother when she was 18 and she was a single mom. But after reading her story, it inspired me to pick an occupation I am passionate about. I would like to be in the medical field, so it was interesting reading her profile. Her kindness and devotion to her patients made me even more determined to get my degree and help others, just like she did.

3 comments:

  1. Thats crazy that 23% of women experience rape and other violence and actually report it. It makes you think what are the real numbers since they're are so many people that won't come out and tell what's going on in their life because they are so scared to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abby! I actually had a very similar connection to the same profile as you did. I also agree that this profile impacted me as well in the way of wanting to follow my passion and do what I truly have a passion for and would enjoy doing for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree on finding your true passion, I would like to also. It scares me if I cant, because I don’t want to be stuck doing a job I don't like.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.