ENG 1109 at 1:30-3:30 M-W
November 5, 2019
Journal 8
The profile that means the most to me is the oncology nurse. This one means the most to me because she lost someone she really cared about at a young age and so did I. My favorite quote of this chapter is “because she knew she wouldn’t be here to see me graduate, she made me promise that I would finish my nursing degree” (Isay, 112). This is my favorite quote because it is what my uncle told my cousin before he died and she just graduated from school because she promised her dad she would.
My best personal connection to this book would be to Sharon Long the forensic artist. I connect with her because her love for art even through the pain and I love how dedicated she is to her work even though the technology is taking over. The best connection to the world with this profile is how people don’t as a lot to have the forensic art done because of technology.
Two things from my active reading with Dana Viviano, the oncology nurse is, I highlighted where Viviano said “It was very cold the way it was said to us”(Isay, 112). I highlighted this because I thought it was rude how they didn’t care that this girls mother had cancer and just told her like it was something normal. I also highlighted where Sarafina Viviano said “I really think god wanted you to be what you are, because you’re awesome at it”(Isay, 113). I highlighted that because it shows how she is proud of her mother and what she’s doing at work. In this profile I didn’t have any words I didn’t know so I looked up their last name to see where it originated from and found out it is Spanish and means full of life. The research question I had for this profile was what is Dana Viviano doing now that it has been a little over 10 years. The answer to this question is she is now an RN and a Nurse Manager.
![]() |
| Dana Viviano and Sarafina Viviano in 2009 at the time of their interview with Dave Isay. |

Hey Emaleigh! For my best connection I also chose Sharon Long the forensic artist. I also love art and spending my free time sketching. It's amazing that even though she was in so much pain she still continued to do what she loved.
ReplyDeleteI have lost someone I cared about at a really young age as well. I have a love for art as well. Also, I agree that technology is taking over.
ReplyDelete