The profile that has meant the most to me so far was Retired Firefighter John Vigiano's story about his two sons. This story really got me. Vigiano's one son John Vigiano Jr. grew up like his father, a firefighter. His second son Joe Vigiano was a police detective. Both of these men worked in New York city at the time of the 9/11 attacks. The reason this story meant the most to me was because I know so many people that lost loved ones in the attacks, John Vigiano lost both of his sons in this attack. I cant fathom what this did to him. The last time Vigiano heard from his son John was over the telephone at around 10 o' clock: "'I don't think so Dad...There's alot of smoke... Im heading south on west street... This is a big one'... and just says, 'Be careful.. I love you'"(Isay 106).
My best personal connection was with Funeral Director Don Byles. I connect to this story the most because my great uncle works as a funeral director. I can relate to this story because I can recall him telling me about these same things Byles did to his daughter. Someone has to do that job and its not an easy job to do.
One of my vocabulary words for a story was: Brusque. Brusque is an abrupt or offhand in speech or manner. I found this in story between Dr. Larry Michaelis and his daughter. My research question was, how many surgeons were serving in world war 2. I found that at least 20% of all physicians were pulled from their practice to serve as surgeons in the army.
Yes that profile got me too I thought it was crazy that the son that became the police detective was the son grew up loving firefighting.
ReplyDelete