Emaleigh Haimerl
Mike Lohre
ENG 1109 M-@ at 1:30
November 27, 2019
A question I had how did Wendell Scott start racing for NASCAR? The answer I found was he learned to be a mechanic from his father and opened up his own shop. He would race at the Dixie Circuit because at the time African Americans could not race with NASCAR. In order for Scott to be able to become the first African American to be a NASCAR driver he had to convince Mike Poston, a NASCAR steward, to grant him a NASCAR license during an event at Richmond Speedway in 1953.
![]() |
| Wendell Scott with his car for NASCAR |
A theme I saw in this book is to never give up. A profile that had the biggest meaning to me was Sharon Long’s because even when she got arthritis she never gave up on her art. This profile inspired me to continue to make art even when I think I should stop because she didn’t stop even when she was in pain.
https://theundefeated.com/whhw/wendell-scott-the-first-black-driver-in-nascar/
https://theundefeated.com/whhw/wendell-scott-the-first-black-driver-in-nascar/

I also noticed the common theme of to never give up. It's inspiration for students like us to never give up and to focus on our dreams as we are working on getting our degree.
ReplyDeleteI noticed in a lot of profiles that people get inspired fo do what they’re father/family members do and follow in their footsteps. i would agree that the theme was to never give up.
ReplyDeleteIs it safe to say the he was one of the first African American NASCAR racers?
ReplyDelete