English
Collin thacker
10-9-19
Freetown Sierra Leone
Freetown is the capital of Sierra Leone as well as the
largest in Sierra Leone West Africa and is known for
its beaches and its slavery and both of which were
mentioned in the novel A Long Way Home by
Ishmael Beah. Their centuries old cotton tree symbol
is for emancipataion due to high labor and low to no
wage at all, prospects that lead most of the slavery
in this country. There is a waterfront also known as
Kings Yard Gate where slaves walked to freedom. A flight
from Columbus ohio to Freetown Sierra Leone can cost up to
$2,054 for 19 hours and 30 minute flight.It is today generally
considered a safe country. Their biggest fear is roads and tides.
Sierra Leone is rated 180th of 187 countries in the Human Development
Index in 2011. Their flag consists of three colored stripes
green white and blue in that order from top to bottom. I
would love to someday visit present day Sierra Leone
as the pictures of beaches look beautiful!
Coast of Sierra Leone during our winter seasons
That beach looks so pretty but so empty, it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with it since there is absolutely no one on the beach in that photo.
ReplyDeleteEma, that is a good point but I wonder if in Africa, with the turmoil in that country, if being at the beach is like the last thing on their minds? I don't know but fun to think about how war totally might change your point of view on what fun is, or what is possible.
DeleteHey Collin! I really enjoyed the details that you shared from your research. Some of them are very specific and some are more broad, but now I can picture what Sierra Leone is like more accurately.
ReplyDelete