Chas Martin
English at 1:30
Mr. Lohre
October 16, 2019
Journal 6
1.
I think the most meaningful character other than
Ishmeal Beah was Esther. Without her Beah wouldn’t have become the person he is
now. He would have kept struggling in rehabilitation and kept fighting the new
system he was taken into. I think the most influential part that Esther is
apart of is when Beah opens up to her and talks about how he got his bullet
holes. Esther never interrupted the story or I think Beah would have mentioned
it in the book. That means that she just listened to the story and this shows
that she became a person that Beah could not only trust but for someone he
could open up to.
2.
I feel like his rehabilitation went very well.
He showed this when Freetown was taken over by the RUF and he stood strong and
didn’t fall into his old ways. If Beah was to move into my neighborhood or any
former child soilder in that fact, I’m not going to lie I would feel a little
nervous. I wouldn’t push him out or separate myself from him but I would want
to get to know him. I think everyone at first would feel a little uncomfortable
but as time progresses we need to learn to understand that these are people
just like you and I.
3.
I think Beah’s use of scene in the book was
beyond beautiful. In some scenes I felt like I could imagine what had actually
taken place. He described some moments with such passion that it had blown me
away. I really haven’t felt that much power and inspiration from someone’s
writing in a long time.
4.
I’m not going to quote the entire passage
because it is long but I think my favorite passage was when Beah is describing
the chaotic disturbance that took place when all the former child soldiers had
started fighting. When Beah had described him fighting in the war I think it
showed change for his character. When he was brought back to civilized world
and it showed the scene where the fighting had taken place and the young boys had
died. That scene shows us how twisted their young minds had become. The war
never stopped for them, they could only think about killing one another no
matter what the cost was.
Hey Chas! I agree with you that Beah had a great way of developing the scenes in his book. He had a great way of making us as readers feel as if we knew exactly what was going on and as if we were alongside him going through it as well.
ReplyDelete