Friday, October 25, 2019

Journal Seven- Madi Conrad

Journal Seven- Walcott

One Major conclusion I made from my observation about Walcott is that he decided to become a firefighter by following in his father's footsteps. This was intriguing to me because many people i know, including myself do not usually want to follow in their parent's footsteps. They want to make their own path and follow their own dreams, wants, and desires. I found it very interesting that Walcott also chose firefighting as his job because he receives an inside feeling of happiness for saving someone's life by putting himself in harm's way. I feel that a lot more people have begum to understand that same feeling that Walcott has when doing his job.
A direct quote from the book, Callings by Dave Isay, is on page 55, when it communicates to the reader the beliefs that Walcott has developed in his world of being a good fireman. On page 55, it says, "..When you put yourself in harm's way to help someone else, that's really what makes you a good fireman" (Isay 55). This quote represents how Walcott has begun to build the choices in his life as a fireman.
My Research question for this chapter is, what are the technical differences between a volunteer firefighter and a firefighter who graduated from the academy's job? The results I found to my research question was that a volunteer firefighter still receives intense training and recieve an EMT certificate but, they many only assist to putting out fires unlike an academy graduated fire fighter.

I chose this image of the Chicago Fire Department Engine Co. 116 as Walcott said that was the engine he was on when he first started his job as a firefighter.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this. I thought it was interesting how Walcott felt enjoyment putting his life on the line, most would say the complete opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Madi! I really like your post and the conclusions you drew is him actually following his father's footstep and that he feels happiness by helping others. For him being a firefighter, he is able to help others and it has made his dad proud. I agree with you that not many people nowadays want to follow their parents footsteps. They want to go off and make their own lacgacy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.